Youth experience physically and emotionally safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate learning environments.
- All staff and volunteers submit to background checks and fingerprint clearance.
- Staff implements policies, procedures and supervision to maintain safety for all youth.
- Written health and safety policies are provided to families and understood by youth.
- Healthy lifestyles and behaviors are promoted.
- Snacks and meals provided are well balanced and nutritious.
- Youth, families and staff experience a welcoming and supporting environment.
- The indoor and outdoor space provides an environment of comfort, ownership and respect for youth and their families.
- The physical space reflects the interests of and displays the work of the youth.
Examples of the Standard in Practice:
- Staff is in each room, activity or program space to ensure that all youth are properly supervised.
- The program conducts regular inspections using checklists to ensure the indoor and outdoor environment is clean and free of hazards that can cause injury or illness to youth.
- There is a quiet area for youth who need it.
- Physical health and nutrition activities are a part of daily programming for all youth.