Lights On Afterschool
Mark your calendars for 2021: Thursday, October 28th
Launched in October 2000 by the Afterschool Alliance, Lights On Afterschool is the only nationwide event celebrating afterschool programs and their important role in the lives of children, families and communities. The effort has become a hallmark of the afterschool movement and generates media coverage across the country each year.
Lights on Afterschool is an opportunity for out-of-school time programs to showcase the importance of quality out-of-school time programming to parents, school administrators, policymakers and community members. For 21 years, #LightsOnAfterschool has put a spotlight on the important role afterschool has played in our communities – now, that role has never been more important, especially for our students & families most in need due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When schools were forced to close in March, afterschool programs across the country immediately jumped in to make sure families who relied on afterschool meals, childcare, and much more were taken care of. Recent survey data shows how afterschool programs ‘rose to the moment’ – but need more support to ensure they’ll be here for students now and in the future. Take advantage of this annual celebration to highlight the important work you do and why out-of-school time programs are such a critical component of a child’s personal development and academic success.
Check back here for more info on AzCASE’s 2021 Lights On Afterschool celebration. In the meantime, check out these great resources from the Afterschool Alliance:
Need help with your event? Getting started is easy! Try these simple steps to start your planning:
- Choose a date. This one’s easy – we’ve done it for you – Thursday October 28nd, 2021 is the day!
- Pick a theme/focus. This could be STEM Learning, Entrepreneurship, Social-Emotional Learning, or Youth Voices and Leadership, just for starters.
- Plan an activity. Your event is sure to be a success when your guests are engaged and included.
- Invite. Depending on your event’s theme and goal, your invite list could include family members of participants, community members, administrators, partners, local media, or elected officials.
- Promote. Share your event on your social media and don’t forget to register your event with Afterschool Alliance using the link above.