Leadership in Advocacy Program
AzCASE is hosting its first ever Leadership in Advocacy Program, or LAP, designed to support aspiring youth leaders with an emphasis on advocacy education. Geared towards high school students, the first cohort in this semester-long program will:
- Be introduced to the behind the scenes of out-of-school time,
- Learn what advocacy is and how to be an advocate,
- Receive training in public speaking, and
- Take part in a day at the capitol to meet with legislators.
Each young leader will graduate from the program with a better understanding of the importance of quality out-of-school time opportunities for school-aged youth. Our goal is that youth will learn how to be an advocate while being exposed to the ins and outs of out-of-school time. The LAP will engage students in understanding advocacy to advance interests through the state legislative process.
The program will launch in February and run through May. Once selected, participants will take part in monthly, virtual meetings to cover the following topics:
- Out-of-school Time Introduction
- Advocacy Education
- Public Speaking Training
To culminate the semester, students will be invited to a day at the Capitol in Phoenix where they will receive a tour of the building and engage with Arizona legislators. In addition to monthly meetings, we will provide resources via email to support the topic of the month.
We envision a 2021 Spring class of the Leadership in Advocacy Program that will introduce young leaders to the world of advocacy. This program will provide students with:
- Engaging sessions with guest speakers and legislators
- Exposure to OST professionals and Arizona government officials
- Opportunities to engage with other young leaders from across the state
- Continuing education resources to support curriculum
- Meaningful experiences for resumes or college applications
If you have a youth in mind for our Leadership in Advocacy Program, please encourage them to apply.
Deadline for application is Friday, January 22nd, 2021.
*All programming is subject to change due to COVID-19.